Aging causes your skin to lose its elasticity. When you repeatedly make facial expressions like smiling or frowning, the collagen in your skin breaks down, forming lasting fine lines and wrinkles. The fine lines and wrinkles appear between your eyebrows, on your forehead and around your eyes. If you have fine lines and wrinkles, you are probably looking for a solution to rejuvenate your skin and look younger. There is one wrinkle-fighting product that is offering natural-looking results; Xeomin. Read on to learn more about this neurotoxin making waves in the cosmetic industry.
What is Xeomin?
Xeomin (incobotulinumtoxinA or botulinum toxin type A) is a prescription medication injected into muscles to block nerve activity in the muscles to temporarily reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Frown lines are the folds and wrinkles that appear on the forehead and between the eyebrows, which look like an ‘11’. Xeomin can also minimize the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes (crow’s feet). The frown lines appear due to constantly using the muscles in the face to make expressions such as frowning, smiling and squinting. Once injected, your skin becomes smoother, firmer, and wrinkle-free, making you look younger.
Xeomin is made through a manufacturing process known as XTRACT Technology that filters out the therapeutic component of the molecule while removing the unwanted proteins that are not required in treatment. Neurotoxins also treat non-cosmetic problems like migraines, muscle stiffness, excessive sweating, overactive bladder, and muscle spasms. Xeomin is a double-filtered neurotoxin and is not a cheap generic version of Botox.
Xeomin is made from the bacterium that causes botulism. Since Xeomin is made purely of botulinum Type A, it reduces the risk of allergens, unlike Botox, which is made of other proteins that may cause allergies. It is sometimes known as “naked Botox” due to its pure nature (one ingredient). Xeomin treatments are as successful as Botox and Dysport. Patients who use Botox for a while may find it ineffective since they develop antibodies against the formula. Since Xeomin does not use the same formula, it provides a new solution for long-term Botox users. Additionally, Xeomin does not require refrigeration because of its formula, and some patients find the injections more comfortable.
Neurotoxin treatments have minimal downtime and side effects, such as temporary discomfort at the treatment site. Xeomin results are noticeable within 48 hours, lasting 3 to 6 months.
Xeomin is FDA-approved. It offers the following benefits:
- It smoothes the appearance of wrinkles in the forehead, between the eyebrows, around the eyes (crow feet), or around the mouth area
- Short treatment time (10 to 15 minutes)
- Fast recovery time and noticeable results within 3 days to two weeks
- Blocks the signal from the nerve to muscles, leading to muscle relaxation and preventing further wrinkling
- Low risk of allergic reactions due to the absence of added fillers
- Less likely to lead to desensitization
- You look and feel younger
- Has uncommon side effects
Unsuitable Candidates for Xeomin Injection
You cannot get Xeomin injections if you:
- Under 18 years old
- Have any pre-existing muscular or nerve disease such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or myasthenia gravis
- Have bleeding problems
- Are not in good health
- Have a breathing problem such as asthma or emphysema
- Are allergic or had any side effects to Xeonim or any ingredients used
- Have drooping eyelids
- Are pregnant (or planning to be pregnant) and lactating
- Have a history of swallowing problems or inhaling food or fluid into your lungs (aspiration)
- Planning to have surgery or had surgery on your face
It would be best to inform your doctor about all your medications, including over-the-counter or prescription medicines, herbal supplements, or vitamins. You should also ask your doctor if taking any medication after receiving a Xeomin treatment is okay. This is because using Xeomin with certain medications may cause serious side effects. Additionally, inform your doctor if you have recently received an antibiotic injection, sleep, allergy, cold medicine, and muscle relaxants.
To give the treatment time to take full effect, schedule your treatment for at least two weeks from any special occasion or event you may have. Stop using retinol products two days before and after Xeomin treatment. Other pre-care instructions include:
- Do not take alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours before treatment because it may thin your blood and increase the risk of bruising
- Avoid taking ibuprofen, aspirin, vitamin E, ginger, garlic, and herbs like Ginko Biloba, Ginseng, and 10-14 days before treatment. This is because they may cause excessive bleeding or bruising.
- If you get a cold, sore, rash, or blemish on the treatment area, reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance
- Have a good meal before the treatment to avoid getting lightheaded during the procedure.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of cold sores so that they take the necessary precautions
What to Expect During a Xeomin Treatment
Xeomin treatment is fast, taking 10 to 20 minutes. Once the treatment area is prepared, your doctor will administer four to five injections to different areas on the forehead to eliminate the frown lines. The number of injections varies depending on the treatment area. You might get a few more injections after the first treatment since administering too many injections at once is not ideal. After treatment, you can go about your day as usual.
Results can be seen in seven days. You might need additional Xeomin treatments if your desired result is not achieved.
Possible Xeomin Side Effects
Side effects are rare. Possible side effects after treatment may include:
- Muscle weakness
- Onset of a cold
- Drooping eyelids
- Blurred vision
- Allergic reaction
- Dry mouth
- Neck pain
If you experience any side effects, inform your doctor as soon as possible.
Xeomin treatment recovery is quick and easy. Avoid touching your face for at least three hours after treatment. You should also avoid vigorous exercise or strenuous activity and lying down for four to six hours post-treatment. This helps to prevent the product from tracking to other areas, like into the orbit of your eye, which can lead to drooping eyelids. Results are visible after seven days of treatment and typically last three months.
For at least ten days, avoid microdermabrasion or other facial treatments after the procedure. Ask your doctor when it is okay to have the treatments.
For more information about Xeomin and other treatments we offer, contact Kass Center for Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery today.